Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Coming Clean



Mark McGwire has Come Clean. Don't know what that means? Let me clarify.

During Mark McGwire's tenure with the St. Louis Cardinals he broke several rather long-standing records, the most recent one being Roger Maris' 1961 record of 61 home runs. As his accomplishments with the Cardinals stacked up there was increasing speculation about Mr McGwire's use of anabolic steroids. He had consistently denied using steroids throughout his career, going so far as to refuse to answer questions from a Congressional inquiry panel in 2005.

View transcript portions of Mark McGwire's Congressional testimony here

He's now reversing his story. In a statement Monday to the Associated Press McGwire admitted to using steroids during his career and apologized. Saying "I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come.. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected. I used steroids during my playing career and I apologize." He added, "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologise. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era." What brought about this sudden change of heart, Mark? "Now that I have become the hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals, I have the chance to do something that I wish I was able to do five years ago," In other words, do what I say now not what I did then. Guess he's got to protect those records he "earned".



So what does all this mean for the rest of Major League Baseball? Only time and the Baseball Commissioner will determine that. What are your thoughts? Please leave a comment explaining your position on the subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear your comments, please tell me what you think!

Samples of my Stock Photos

I have a DeviantART account where I store stock photographs. These are free to use for any non-commercial purpose. You may tube them, use them as backgrounds or textures. All photos listed in my "Stock" folder Here are available for use.