Sunday, January 17, 2010

Favorite Reading



I like to read. I first discovered my love for reading while in High School. Literature was a required course for graduation but I was fortunate enough to be in a school that allowed for individual choice. We were able to choose from a selection of literature classes that included Classic Literature, Pop Literature, Modern Literature and several others I don't recall anymore. I chose Pop Literature and with that choice I was introduced to Robert Ludlum.

My tastes in books have evolved over the years. I've drifted from the likes of Robert Ludlum to the Vampire Series of Anne Rice but currently I enjoy what I like to call Historical Fiction. Wikipedia describes historical fiction as "a sub-genre of fiction that often portrays fictional accounts or dramatization of historical figures or events." Although not included in Wikipedia's list, currently my favorite authors are Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W Michael Gear. They are both archeologists who, as a husband and wife team, write a series of books referred to as "The First North Americans" series.

"The First North Americans" series are the stories of fictional Native American characters whose lives are based on archeological history in pre-historic North America. The characters are engaging and intelligent. The stories are suspenseful with plenty of plot twists. I have not read one book in the series that was not a page turner. The Gears have supplied plenty of books to keep you entertained and not just in the one genera either. Yes the Gears, together, have over a dozen published books in "The First North Americans" series but they also write books independently. W Michael Gear has at least a dozen books written independently of his wife Kathleen. And Kathleen O'Neal Gear has published almost the same number on her own.

Check out their site and get to know the Gears and while you're there surf over to their blog and read up on their personal adventures as well as those of their book characters who occasionally escape and leave post entries in the Gear's absence. These authors are not just for book readers, they are right at home on the web as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear your comments, please tell me what you think!

Samples of my Stock Photos

I have a DeviantART account where I store stock photographs. These are free to use for any non-commercial purpose. You may tube them, use them as backgrounds or textures. All photos listed in my "Stock" folder Here are available for use.