Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pants on the Ground

Unlike most of the US, I'm afraid I must admit that I don't watch American Idol. But you don't have to be an Idol Fan to know who General Larry Platt is. You might answer that by saying "He's the guy who sang that Pants on the Ground song!" and you'd be right, but that's not his only accomplishment. Mr Platt is also an American Civil Rights veteran, having marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr!

Larry Platt lives in East Atlanta where he surrounds himself with plaques commemorating his work toward Civil Rights and photographs of himself with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and he wants to make sure his recent celebrity doesn't overshadow his Civil Rights work. He's still an activist to this day! He can often be seen in downtown Atlanta holding signs protesting foreclosures, war, violence and racism. But one day when he saw a young man with his pants hanging below his waist he thought "After all this work I did with Dr. King ... walking around with your pants on the ground? They're going to have to get them up. I'm sorry." and with that he came up with the lyrics that have caught the attention of America and possibly the world.

So here is the video and the lyrics are printed below...



Pants on the ground,

Pants on the ground,

Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!

With the gold in your mouth,

Hat turned sideways,

Pants hit the ground,

Call yourself a cool cat,

Lookin' like a fool,

Walkin' downtown with your pants on the ground!

Get it up, hey!

Get your pants off the ground,

Lookin' like a fool,

Walkin' talkin' with your pants on the ground.

Get it up, hey!

Get your pants off the ground,

Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!


And it wouldn't be complete for a Minnesota Girl if I didn't include Brett Favre's version...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear your comments, please tell me what you think!

Samples of my Stock Photos

I have a DeviantART account where I store stock photographs. These are free to use for any non-commercial purpose. You may tube them, use them as backgrounds or textures. All photos listed in my "Stock" folder Here are available for use.