Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nebraska's Ben Nelson pimps his vote, feels backlash

I posted a few days ago and openly asked Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska if he could separate himself from his history with the Insurance industry, he answered by pimping his Health Care vote to his fellow Democrats in return for the federal government paying 100 percent of Nebraska's Medicaid tab indefinitely. He might call it a brilliant move of compromise getting the most possible for his state but others call it bribery. “Is it appropriate for the federal government to do a special deal for one state to get that senator’s vote and every other state will incur financial liability?” Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina asked. Still others might call Senator Graham and other Senator's negative reactions "Sour Grapes". Perhaps they are regretting blindly opposing the bill instead of playing it "smart" as Senator Nelson seems to have done. History will be the ultimate judge in this ongoing saga but for now we'll have to wait and see. Never before do I remember so much wrangling and cajoling to get a bill passed that will ultimately do the country's citizenry good. Perhaps that's because the last time historic legislation such as this passed, I was not yet born.

References: NYT Prescriptions and CNN Politics

Update: NYT Prescriptions Blog is now reporting "10 Red states Now Questioning Nelson Deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear your comments, please tell me what you think!

Samples of my Stock Photos

I have a DeviantART account where I store stock photographs. These are free to use for any non-commercial purpose. You may tube them, use them as backgrounds or textures. All photos listed in my "Stock" folder Here are available for use.